Courgette & Coconut cake (GF, DF & refined sugar free) I made this up this morning because I had so many courgettes in my garden ready to pick. A light teatime cake that’s not too sweet. Excellent way to use up all those courgettes from the garden!
A light & most cake, with grated courgette and desiccated coconut, makes a great alternative to carrot cake – top with rich cream cheese icing or coconut frosting (recipe to follow).
We don’t have much of a sweet tooth her at Satya yoga but if you do, just up the quantity for the maple syrup by 10-20g and sugar by 20-50g.
Prep: 20 mins Cook: 30-35 mins depending on your oven Serves: 10 – 12
- 100ml olive oil
- 3 large eggs or 6 medium size eggs
- 100g coconut palm sugar
- 65g clear maple syrup or honey
- 280g gluten free self-raising flour
- ½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- ½ tsp gluten free bicarbonate of soda
- 200g courgette or zucchini, grated & make sure you squeeze access liquid with hands after grating
- 75g desiccated coconut
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Lightly grease a 22cm round loose-bottomed cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- Put the eggs, oil, sugar and syrup in a bowl and whisk for 3-4 mins until combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda over the mixture and fold in carefully, along with the courgette and desiccated coconut.
- Spoon into the tin and bake for 35 mins until golden and firm to the touch. Push a skewer into the centre of the cake – if it comes out clean, then it is cooked. If it is still wet, cook for a further 5-10 mins. Transfer the cake to a wire rack and leave to cool completely before icing.