You can use unrefined soft brown sugar but the coconut palm sugar (read more about this at foot of page) gives it its gooeyness and its better for you!
4 ingredients only
250g Goats Butter
150g Golden Syrup
166g Biona organic coconut palm sugar
333g Organic Porridge oats
Preheated oven at 160 c / gas 3
Cooking time 25-30 mins depending on oven – experiment!
- In a large pan, melt butter, syrup and palm sugar till runny. Turn heat off. Add oats and mix well.
- Line a try (20 x 30 cm) with scrunched up baking parchment and pour the mixture, then flatten and spread with spatula.
- Then bake. When they are ready to come out they will look seriously under baked – they will wobble if you shake the try.
- Cover tray and leave overnight or 6-8 hours to settle and harden a little. When ready cut into squares and enjoy!
- These will keep for a week but mine never last that long or make extra and freeze.
Do drop me a line, let me know what you think…..share my dairy free flapjack recipe with others by LIKE my page!
Recipe by Satya Yoga Oxford at http://www.satyayoga.co.uk/2016/flapjacks/
Biona Organic Coconut palm sugar – its an ancient form of sugar which is gaining new popularity partly because of its low GI status. Sometimes just called palm sugar, it has a GI level of just 35. This low glycemic value means that it is beneficial to diabetics and people watching their weight. It is also low in fructose, even though it is taken from the sap of a coconut tree.
The taste is described as something like a mild butterscotch or caramel flavour. It can be used in the same proportion as sugar in cooking and it has a low melt temperature and a high burn temperature which makes it a useful ingredient. It doesn’t turn food brown when cooking either.
Biona’s Organic Coconut Sugar is completely natural, not filtered, processed or bleached, and it offers a rich supply of mineral salts, B vitamins and amino acids – this is part of the reason that it is gaining popularity among health gurus. In fact many cultures throughout history have valued it for its health benefits. It can be used as an alternative sweetener in drinks, baking and desserts, and it is really yummy on cereals.