Pregnancy yoga is one of the best ways to exercise during pregnancy. A gentle, safe way of keeping toned and supple without strain.
We recommend beginning classes following the 14th week of your pregnancy and continuing throughout, once or twice a week, ideally in order to gain maximum benefit.
A minimum of 6 classes enables you to acquire a basic understanding of the main techniques. The benefits of yoga increases in proportion to the woman’s familiarity with the techniques taught, and familiarity comes through repetition and variation on a core range of practices.
Benefits of pregnancy yoga:
- Helps keep the body supple without strain
- Helps boost energy
- Can relieve minor aches and pains (e.g. swollen joints, constipation & heartburn)
- Can relieve stress and anxiety
- Helps relaxation and restful sleep
- Improves posture thus improving lower back pain
- Strengthens pelvic floor muscles
- Promotes better connection with your baby through breathing exercises
- Can be used to relieve pain in labour and childbirth
Paid time off work for pregnancy yoga classes
Women in full time employment are entitled to paid time off work to attend yoga classes. We encourage expectant mothers to exercise their right to this time off work. For further details of the legal obligation of employers to pregnancy, please see: http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/individual/03.htm