This raw kale salad is a real treat for the taste buds. Antioxidant-rich kale is even better for you when eaten raw. Thin strips are softened in a light mustard and honey dressing, then tossed with the savory-sweet blend of apple, lemon and candied walnuts. It’s so easy to make and you will love it!
Ingredients for the salad
- A bag of Kale (stalks taken off)
- 2 Apples
- A large handful of halved Walnuts (extra for snacking!)
- 2 freshly squeezed lemons
Note: If you don’t have walnuts, use sunflower seeds, cashews and pecans. I have used all 3 – seriously yummy!
- 2 tbsp. Maple syrup (use more if you like it sweeter)
- 4 tbsp. Rice syrup
- Pinch pink salt
Note: Turn the oven to 190 c fan / 380 f . Make extra nuts and pop them a jar when cooled for snacking – I promise you they are divine.
- 4 tbsp. Extra virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp. Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (it doesn’t have to be raw)
- 1 tbsp. Mustard
- 4 or so tbsp. Rice Syrup (honey or maple syrup would also be lovely)
- Pinch of Salt (I use pink himalayan salt)
- Put the Kale in a salad bowl
- Thinly slice the apples, than add the lemon juice to stop them going brown
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar & shake – make to taste! play with the ingredients until it satisfies your taste buds
- Put some grease proof paper on a tray, add the walnuts, pour the maple & rice syrup over the nuts then sprinkle with salt and mix really well
- Put the tray in the oven for about 10/12mins – keep an eye on them, they brown very easily
- When the nuts are done, take them out and leave aside to cool. Here, they will harden. Try not to eat them all at this point!
Add the apples to the kale, throw in the crunchy nuts and pour your lovely dressing, than mix. Voi la!.
Eat. Crunch. Share. Enjoy!